The Sandon

The World Famous Sandon Complex offers 9 Function Rooms which hosts a vast range of events from Weddings to Christenings and everything in between. Located less than a 2 minute walk from Anfield Stadium, The Sandon was the first offsite official partner with Liverpool FC to provide Corporate Hospitality outside of the stadium from 2008.

Acquired in 2017 by local businesswoman Kate Stewart, The Sandon Complex has been newly renovated into a modern venue which still holds the heritage of its origins.

  • Short listed for Best Local & Best Sport Venue in The Great British Pub Awards 2019
  • 9 Function Rooms
  • On-site Car Parking
  • Disabled Access
  • 20 Room Hotel
  • Largest Fanzone in Anfield
  • Partnered with Community Projects across Merseyside

The History of The Sandon Pub

The Sandon was originally built by John Houldings in 1870 as an outlet for selling the beers from his brewery, Houldings brewery. It was the first Masonic Lodge in Liverpool – The Anfield Lodge – and masonic symbols can be found on the ornate tiles on the exterior or the building.

 In 1878 St. Domingo’s Football Club was formed in the building, at the time the Liverpool’s only football club. It was then here in 1892 Liverpool FC was formed and the rest of course is history.

In the early 1980’s the Sandon was rebranded as “The Picture House” and seen some success until the decline in the British pub sector and was eventually forced to close in 1990. After numerous fires, a demolition order was placed on the pub due to subsidence. At one point you could stand in the cellar and see the clouds above.  After a change in ownership the building was brought back to live once again and then in 2017, local entrepreneur Kate Stewart acquired the site and took on one of the most ambitious refurbishment projects the building had ever seen. The result is the breathtaking range of function suites, The Sandon public house and Sam Dodd’s Wine Bar, now once again a thriving community hub.

.